We all agree that influencer marketing is an efficient strategy to build trust, loyalty and brand awareness.
But is it an easy one?
In fact, to be able to effectively connect to influencer and engage them in your campaign you need to have an actual talent or a talented manager (or both). I’ve seen so many failed attempts at influencer marketing that it’s almost unbelievable.
Most brands engaging in influencer marketing are pretty lost: They don’t know where to start, what to focus on, how much to invest and how to calculate ROI.
— Ann Smarty (@seosmarty) March 10, 2016
Here’s the best way to try your hand at influencer marketing on a very small budget: Stop going after celebrities and connect to tomorrow’s influencers. Before we go into how-tos, let’s discuss the benefits of this approach…
- Today’s influencer is busy: It’s much harder to get them involved. Tomorrow’s influencer may be busy to but they are also hungry, more motivated and restless
- Today’s influencer is expensive. Tomorrow’s influencer is willing to work for free if you give back. Tomorrow’s influencer is much more eager to build partnerships and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Today’s influencer is less creative, less willing to try new things and tactics. They have already found things that work well for them and prefer to stick to tried and true tactics rather than spending time discovering new ones. Tomorrow’s influencer is looking for more and more ways to build their presence.
- Today’s influencer has larger audience but tomorrow’s influencer is much more engaged with their followers which, in many cases may result in more clicks and conversions!
- Today’s influencer will do their job and move on while tomorrow’s influencer is much more likely to stick around, become your brand ambassador and help you more tomorrow when they do become today’s influencers.
Investing in someone’s growth is smart because that’s how you build long-term loyalty.
2. How to Find Tomorrow’s Influencers
First and foremost: Look at who may be promoting you already (bloggers who mention your site or articles and interact with you or your writers, social media users who follow you, etc.)
- I use @BuzzSumo to receive an email alert every time anyone mentions my name OR mydomain.com.
- Use Tweetdeck to monitor when your site or your Twitter handle is mentioned on Twitter
- Interact with your promoters using ViralContentBuzz
Hootsuite is also an excellent (free) tool for Twitter. #myblogu
— Don Sturgill (@DonSturgill) March 10, 2016
2.2 Monitor newer bloggers and multi-author blog contributors
Tomorrow’s influencers are contributing and guest blogging everywhere. Keep an eye on popular multi-author blogs in your niche for new faces, go through their bios, check and subscribe to their personal blogs.
- You are looking for blogs which are less than one year old run by independent bloggers (rather than corporate bloggers) who actively reply to comments, tweets and Facebook posts.
- They don’t follow hundreds of thousands people on Twitter and they have between 5K and 10K followers (this may vary from niche to niche).
2.3 Use MyBlogU to connect to active bloggers in your niche
Last but not the least, use blogging communities (MyBlogU being your top choice of course to find active bloggers who are willing to build new connections and partnerships).
Today’s influencers rarely have time or desire to participate in communities but tomorrow’s influencers are looking for all possible ways to meet new people and discover new opportunities. Becoming part of the community is the most efficient way to meet people willing to connect.
3. Important conclusion
This post isn’t supposed to sound like developing connections with already-established influencers is pointless or that you only need to look for tomorrow’s influencer.
On the contrary, you need to do both: Build relationships with established influencers while keeping an eye on emerging ones. A good relationship building strategy is varied and involves lots of experiments!
Next Thursday we’ll review good and bad examples of outreach emails and identify best ways to actually get those influencers on board and turn them into your promoters!TwitCount Button