Since we are going to support and coach lots of bloggers starting a new site, we need a solid resource to help them get started.
***Please join our blogging challenge to change your life for the better! You’ll meet awesome people and build up a new site: You’ll learn to enjoy blogging and hence succeed in it!***
This resource is going to be useful to both newbie and established bloggers: I know starting a new site is overwhelming no matter how many times you already went through the process!
We’ll try to keep it ultimate and actionable, yet concise: The ultimate goal is to create a doable checklist, not to clutter!
So, step by step, here are the links to go through before you start your own blog!
Initial basic (can we say boring?) steps:
- Step 1: Select the domain: Our own member is building this cool tool to brainstorm a blog name (thanks @coolnameideas). Do check these things before registering and probably sleep on it. This guide on launching a site also comes highly recommended!
- Step 2: Select a web hosting and host your site. ?heck out this very helpful guide on hosting in case you feel a bit lost. Web Hosting Hub seem to offer a great deal!
- Step 3: Set up WordPress. Most hosting companies have easy visual guide or one-click WordPress integration. Here’s a step-by-step guide on setting up a blog in case you need it.
- Step 4: Select a good theme and brand identity.
My favorite theme source is StudioPress. They have great support for their themes. #myblogu
— Niki Payne (@nikipayne) October 3, 2015
I go with StudioPress themes. I trust them and the support is top-drawer. #myblogu
— Don Sturgill (@DonSturgill) September 10, 2015
— Gail Gardner (@GrowMap) September 10, 2015
- Step 5: Install must-have WordPress plugins. We’ve listed the most essential WordPress plugins here.
Recurring steps (Where all the fun starts!)
While going through the above steps, you can start working on content and social media account building. Here’s how MyBlogU community can help you here:
- Collect original angles and topic ideas with Brainstorm. Here’s how to go from idea to an article!
- Collect expert quotes using Interviews section.
- Improve your draft in Articles section
- Here’s how to make your content stand out.
- Here’s how you can build connections and social media accounts by promoting your promoters.
- Grow your twitter presence with MyBlogU
- Build community around your blog
- Build your new brand using MyBlogU
- Make sure to download our checklist on writing and promote an epic article
Good luck and we are always here to help!
*Start by using our MyBlogU and you’ll notice the whole process is kind of fun when you have so many people cheering for you!*
=> Do take our free Udemy course to better understand the basic features of MyBlogU.
Some of the above links are from our previous chats, crowdsourced by real bloggers, that will ultimately be turned into a quick PDF reference guide and will soon grow into an eBook. We’ve also added a few other resources that we have found really helpful.
Before we turn it into an eBook, please do let us know if we need to add anything to make it more useful, yet not overwhelming! Please add a comment below or tweet to @seosmarty with any links you’d like to nominate to be added here!